I listen to music a lot when I'm working on the computer. That's many hours each day. I once used XMMS, but found being able to see and select all my music a better proposition. I used Amarok for a long time, but the latest release took away the parts I used the most and slowed it down to an almost unusable state. I've been experimenting with other music players, and I've been using aTunes, a Java music player. It's been good in lots of ways - fast, responsive, doesn't bog down with 90,000 tracks - but searching for music is difficult.
So today I tried out Songbird. It loaded my music, it played my music, it showed it in new ways. I really like the display, easily allowing me to find it and play it. Yes, I really like the display.
Then I decided to look at the options, so I chose Tools -> Options and it immediately started doing something, don't know what, and it chewed up 99% of the CPU. I killed it, and restarted it with nice. Went into Tools -> Options again and it started doing something very intensive again. I have no idea what it did, but it took about 6 minutes and then it finished doing whatever it was doing and it showed me the configuration dialog box. Not good. Not good at all.
On the other hand, the next time I went into the Options, it came straight up. So maybe that only happens the first time.
It looks good, and I really like the way I can look at the music. I'll try it for a while and see if I like it.